Monday, August 27, 2012

Would you like a band-aid with that?

One of the greatest advantages of working in a pharmacy, is the excitement you get out of bargaining.

"That's 74 LE, Sir.
How about 70 LE?
No, Sir. 74 LE. We don't do discounts.
Thing is, I don't like change. Why don't you just make it 70?
74 LE. "

"So, how much of a discount are you gonna make for me doctor? 
We don't give discounts.
Oh come on! I just paid 240 LE. Help me out over here.
I'm sorry, pharmacy policy. Matter of fact, The Syndicate of Pharmacists mandates us to never make discounts.
But everyone else gives discounts.
Well, they're not supposed to."

"Hey, I'd like the diet sugar for 4.60 LE but can I have it for 4.50 LE ? And I'll trade you one of those band-aids you give for .10 change.
*silence*
Hello?"

I really don't get it. Pharmacies aren't supposed to give discounts, but some pharmacies give up part of their own profit just for the sake of getting more customers. It's ridiculous. It's not like we need more reasons for a lower salary. Isn't it enough that we sell medicine by the "strip" and sometimes by the "tablet"?!

Besides, why does everyone expect to get a discount at a pharmacy? In which part of the world is that a regular procedure?
When you walk into a McDonald's, do you ask for a discount?
Why do you expect to get one at a pharmacy?
Why won't you respect the fact that medicine is priced by the Ministry of Health and just save yourself and the pharmacist the time, energy, and embarrassment of bargaining?

Think of that the next time you beg the pharmacist to give you a discount for being "such a loyal client".
You don't buy one and get one free in here, this isn't Pizza Hut!

No comments:

Post a Comment